Friday, October 3, 2008

P105 Absolute Belief (AVeoA3003)

Habit 3: Absolute Belief
After going through the adhoc training for the 8 habits of mind, I tried it out by first choosing Habit 3: Absolute belief. Being a very low self-esteemed person, it contradicted the habit I had chosen. I used to have absolutely no confidence in myself and what I was able to achieve.
In the worksheet, I had stated down, under My Unlimited World of Reality, that I was to recite a few statements 3 times daily; one of which was that “I am a good person!”
Not that I thought that I was not a good person. It was that I thought I wasn’t good enough for many people such as my juniors and seniors in St John Ambulance Brigade. It seems as though I had let them down too many times. I carry a heavy responsibility in SJAB to maintain discipline and ensure that their trainings are effective. However, being the head of discipline is no easy feat because you tend to want to be favored among the seniors yet at the same time pleasing to the juniors. With me shouting at the juniors every now and then makes me a rather unpopular senior among the rest. If I don’t shout at them, the seniors will shout at me. A rather awkward situation to be in.
Anyway, I reminded myself that I was a good person trying to do the right thing.
Time flew by, and it led to the day of the last parade before End of Year examinations begin. As usual, I shouted at them, more than I intended to and one of them nearly cried.
So my squad mates and I talked to them regarding discipline and later we had some fun running up and down the school car park.
After closing parade, one of our alumni Sir came and did a separate AAR (after action review) for the juniors and my squad mates and I. It turned out that we did a fine job in the discipline sector as well as cheering them up after we scolded them. The juniors did not have too many complaints. I was relieved.
I soon came to realize that it wasn’t that I was not good enough; it was actually because I did not believe in myself.
My trick to my success: Believe in Oneself

- Annabelle Lim
3 Endurance 08

No comments: